Development Engineer/Scientist (Media Formulation)
- Close Date
- 30 Apr 2017
As a Development Engineer/Scientist (DES) at CCRM, you will be part of a diverse bioengineering team focused on defining and executing process optimization and technology development projects within the cell and gene therapy and regenerative medicine fields. You will advance and implement processes for the production of optimized cell culture media. The DES will develop and optimize media and supplementation formulations based on deep understanding of cellular metabolism, component formulation and interactions, signaling requirements, and a mechanistic understanding of the underlying biology. In this position, the successful candidate will work in a matrix environment, across a variety of projects for internal and external customers.
CCRM is a Canadian, federally incorporated, not-for-profit organization dedicated to supporting the development of foundational technologies that accelerate the commercialization of stem cell and biomaterials-based technologies and therapies. For more information about CCRM, please visit our website at http://www.ccrm.ca.
- Perform media formulation research and development to optimize cultivation of therapeutic cells;
- Responsible for operation of liquid handling instrumentation and development of operational SOPs, protocols and reports;
- Create, coordinate and manage media/component inventory;
- Perform cell culture as required for key experimental objectives;
- Contribute scientific expertise and propose new ideas and product concepts targeting the research market, drawn from scientific literature and personal experience;
- Support other R&D projects as determined by his/her expertise and experience. Develop new skills and improve knowledge as necessary to successfully support assigned projects;
- Demonstrate integrity, credibility and a positive attitude in daily performance so as to motivate others to do the same;
- Assist and train others as necessary; and,
- Other duties as required.
- Ph.D. in a relevant field with three or more years of formulation work experience. M.Sc. level candidates with significant media development experience are also encouraged to apply;
- Experience in cell culture media optimization and formulation is required;
- Experience in the development and use of chemically defined and serum-free media formulations is preferred;
- Excellent communication and intrapersonal skills are required; and,
- Must be flexible to support research activities outside of normal business hours as needed.
- Industry experience in media formulation, cell and gene therapy or regenerative medicine;
- Hands-on experience working with human primary and/or stem cell cultures;
- Systems biology, metabolic modelling/flux analysis, or similar experience;
- Understanding of development biology and factors controlling human cell fate;
- Familiarity with the applicable regulatory frameworks and requirements for cell and gene therapy and regenerative medicine, such as cGMP, ISO, or medical device development;
- Experience with cell characterization (microscopy, cell counting, flow cytometry, etc.);
- Self-directed and self-motivated. Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment as well as independently.
- CL2 laboratory. Possible exposure to chemical, biological or other hazardous substances.
- Working at a computer for data entry and analysis.
- May be required to be available outside of standard working hours.
CCRM is a developing organization and represents a fluid working environment. Flexibility and adaptability are essential, and duties will be influenced by the needs of the organization.
Applications are due by 6:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time on the Close Date indicated at the top of this job posting.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
CCRM is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.